From our Fort Wayne Nostalgia Collection! Anyone driving down Calhoun Street can’t help but have noticed the majestic neon marquee of the Rialto, once known as one of the Midwest’s most elegant movie theaters. This beautiful, 700-seat theater was built in 1924 by Greek immigrant James Heliotes in the Streamline Moderne Style. It was remodeled by architect Alvin M. Strauss in 1942 adding a 300-seat balcony. In 1952 the famous marquee sign was constructed on the front of the building. Up until the 1980s the theater enjoyed a prosperous business, but fell on hard times during that decade, until it finally closed in 1989. In 1990, local historic-preservation group ARCH Inc. placed the Rialto on its Endangered Structures List where it has remained ever since. In 1993 it was named by the city as a "locally designated historic district.” Although it is still vacant to this day, we personally have hopes that one day it will shine again.
From our Fort Wayne Nostalgia Collection! Atz’s Ice Cream Shoppe opened in 1922 and served...
From our Fort Wayne Nostalgia Collection! From 1896 to 1969 Wolf & Dessauer Department Store...
Sign up for our email list!